Dusting off my old trumpet I had a lot of mixed feelings about playing again, so right off the bat I knew this project was going to be a challenge to me and my inner musician.

To start the re-learning of my trumpet I just played scales, C major, Chromatic, Octatonic, pentatonic, just making sure I took it slow in re-training my fingers the right positioning for each note and practicing being able to switch pitches.

That in particular I found very hard because I forgot the strength it takes for good embouchure…which is essential in being able to switch to the right pitch. I was getting so frustrated because I was using the correct fingering, I could hear the pitch I was trying to play in my head, but nothing was coming out, or it was always the octave up! But after a good week I got that under control. I also found my mouth needed multiple breaks because it hurt so bad after a few minutes. I’ve been feeling envious of myself from 3 years ago being able to play whatever I wanted and for however long.

The other thing I started getting in touch with again was tonguing. Now I never could flutter tongue in my past but I also never thought I’d have a hard time with just basic tonguing. Getting back into the rhythm of that extension was and still is very difficult and I see it taking me to the end of term to be at a decent clarity.

Next week we shall get into a piece or two….