Today I got a reality check about things I had never really thought to think about.

I was always taught about using common sense on the internet and what that means in terms of predators, and cyber bullying but I was never told to think about the idea that I was creating a digital footprint.

I was not aware I have a digital identity and my social, personal and professional digital identities are all interconnected and I don’t own any of it.

It was interesting to talk about children and social media, and how all these people keep posting blogs or ‘articles’ about their opinions on how to deal with the internet age and the effect it has on their children. Where we are at with the internet is such a valuable tool for learning and educating yourself but you have to be so carful because these opinions are just that; opinions. There is no science based backing to a lot of the information out there it can be hard to weed through to find the hard truths. Tech is good for children when it comes to their education.

Another interesting topic was about thee worth of social media to ourselves. Would I pay to use this service? Probably not and thats why I don’t own anything I put on the internet or share on snapchat. It’s crazy that a public wifi can view what you are doing on that wifi. That just blew my mind. Along with some of the byproducts of using thee internet for example helping teach self driving cars just by clicking through a “I am not a robot” blocker.

Some other cool notes were:

Teachers must not share student info/image on personal social media accounts, understand consequence in the online sharing of personal information about students, balance professional expectations (replying to every email, set boundaries), Get permission to share valuable information.

Digital Consent: Did you ask for permission, are you sharing information without informing the person it may impact? Are you the type to screenshot for selfish purposes? leveraging information over another may be illegal. Illegal content on you device may impact you in a variety of ways. Sharing with Care.